Behold, the power of the skies! The Wind Mill is the first form of continuous mechanical power generation available to the player and represents a milestone in technological advancement. Wind Mills are created from Sails which are themselves made from Fabric which is a product of processed Hemp.
During Thunder Storms, Wind Mills can overload and destroy the first Gearbox or Redstone Clutch connected to it for longer than approximately 30 seconds. This can be prevented using a Redstone Clutch and applying Redstone power or attaching and turning on a Lever directly, which will disengage the clutch and prevent damage. After the Soulforge is created, it is possible to use a Detector Block facing upwards to detect rain or snow, automatically powering the Redstone Clutch.
After the Wind Mill has been placed, each sail can be individually colored by right clicking on it with a dye in the players hand.
|Input » Output
Once the Wind Mill has been crafted, it will need to be attached to a placed Axle by right clicking it with the Wind Mill in the players hand. Bear in mind that it is a large structure and requires 13x13x1 blocks of free space (6 block radius around the axle). Wind Mills also require a completely unobstructed view of the sky to function.
|Input » Output
Keep in Mind
- Deserts do not suffer from rain, snow or storms.
- The Wind Mill needs 13x13x1 blocks of free space, including the axle in the middle.
- Blocks placed above a Wind Mill will protect it from the weather, but will also disable it.
- It takes 27 Hemp to make a Wind Mill.
- Vertical Wind Mills are variants that can be used in the Nether.